Installing Carbonite Safe and Initial Backup Selections (Mac 2x)
Sign in to your Carbonite account at https://account.carbonite.com/ with your email address and password you used to sign up for Carbonite.
If you have yet to install Carbonite on a computer, there will be a message displayed indicating that you have not yet installed Carbonite and to click to install. If so, please click on the here in order to proceed to installing Carbonite. If you have already installed Carbonite and are looking to start a new trial on another computer, click the Add a new computer link.
Click Download now to save the Carbonite setup file.
Click the file to run it when the download completes and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Automatic Settings selects Carbonite’s recommended user files and folders for back up.
- Advanced Settings does not select anything for backup. You will need to manually select the files and folders you wish to back up.
- Desktop - This option selects your Desktop folder to be included in your backup.
- Documents - This option will select your Documents folder to be included in your backup.
- Pictures - This option includes your Pictures folder to be included in your backup.
- Downloads - This option selects your Downloads folder to be included in your backup.
- Music - This option selects your Music folder to be included in your backup. During a trial, your music files are not backed up automatically. However, you can select them manually.
- Movies - This option selects your Movies folder to be included in your backup. During a trial, your video files are not backed up automatically. However, you can select them manually.
You can always add files or folders to be included in your backup through the Carbonite User Interface. If you have a paid subscription and have videos* or other files that are not automatically included in your backup, Carbonite recommends that you manually select these files. Files in the Library location must also be manually selected for backup.
* Video files will only be automatically selected after you purchase a Carbonite Safe Plus or Safe Prime subscription and the files are in a folder already selected for backup.
During your initial backup, please make sure to adjust your sleep and power settings so that your computer stays powered on and connected to the internet for long enough for the backup to complete. Future backups will be quick and happen in the background as you use your computer.