Difficulty Installing Carbonite
- This article is for Windows - View the Mac article
There are some cases in which the Carbonite software may not install properly on your Windows computer.
Here are some basic steps that you can take to resolve installation failures:
- Make sure your internet connection is working normally.
- Check if your device is a supported operating system.
- Make sure that your computer’s clock is accurate.
- Make sure the Carbonite installation file was downloaded within the past 24 hours.
If these steps were followed and you are still unable to install Carbonite, there may be additional steps that you need to take to install Carbonite successfully.
The sections below are collapsed. Please click the section title to open / close a particular section.
If the installation was interrupted, Carbonite may need to be removed before you can install successfully. To resolve this issue, please first uninstall Carbonite from your computer and then reinstall using the steps below.
You may encounter an error that states that the Carbonite installation files is corrupt or invalid if you use Internet Explorer. If you receive this message, follow the steps below.
- Click View Downloads in the warning message.
- Right-click the Carbonite installer and select Run anyway.
- In the popup that appears, click More Info.
- Mark the I understand the risk and want to run this app check box.
- Click the Run button.
If your installation fails at the “Registering…” step, there may be an issue with your computer name.
- Your computer has a computer name
- Special characters do not exist in the computer name.
- Non-accented alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z and 0-9)
- Spaces ( )
- Dashes (-)
- or Underscores (_)
Once you have verified that the computer name meets these requirements, you should be able to reinstall Carbonite successfully.
While installing Carbonite, you may receive a administrator Message stating that you need to be an admin to maintain the program. If you receive this message, you may need to open Carbonite as an administrator or lower your User Account Control (UAC) settings on your computer.
Opening the Carbonite File as an Administrator
- Sign into your account at https://account.carbonite.com
- From the Computer options menu, select Reinstall Carbonite
- Right-click on the downloaded Carbonite installation file.
- Select Run as administrator.
Lowering User Account Control (UAC) settings
- Click the Start Menu and search “uac”
- Click Change User Account Control Settings
- Move the Slider to Never Notify
- Click OK to save your changes
- Restart your computer
- Reinstall Carbonite
After you have successfully installed Carbonite, you can readjust your UAC by following the same instructions.
A secure connection to our servers is required for Carbonite to install. If you use security software or have configured your firewall recently, you may need to make exceptions for Carbonite to connect properly.
For 64-bit Windows computers, the following exceptions may need to be added:
- C:\Program Files\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteService
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteUI
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteSetup
If you have added the exceptions above and you are still unable to install Carbonite, temporarily disable your security software and then reinstall Carbonite.
- Once Carbonite is installed, please make sure you re-enable your security software.
Additionally, Carbonite uses the following ports for installation, backup, and restore operations.
- 25 (SMTP)
- 53 (DNS)
- 80 (HTTP)
- 443 (HTTPS)
Controlled Folder Access, a Windows Defender feature, can also prevent you from installing Carbonite.