Determining the Status of Your Backup
- This article is for Windows. - View the Mac article
You can check the status of your backup through the Carbonite application. Double-click the Carbonite icon on your desktop.
This will open the Carbonite application to the Status page.
Your backup status will be one of the following:
- Preparing to back up - Carbonite is scanning your hard drive(s) for files that have been created or changed within the last 24 hours and getting them ready for backup.
- Backing up your computer - Your files are now being backed up to the Carbonite servers.
- Your files are safely backed up - Any new or changed files in your backup have been successfully uploaded to the Carbonite servers.
- Backup is paused - Your backup has been paused according to a schedule or it has been paused through the Carbonite application.
- Your backup is paused while in Recover Mode - State for restoring files to your computer where no changes to your backup will take place.
- Normal backup operations will continue once you exit Recover Mode.
- Your backup is out of date - Restarting your computer should resolve this. If your backup is still out of date after restarting, please reinstall Carbonite Safe by following the instructions linked below:
- If the instructions do not match your version, please Reinstall Carbonite Safe Pro
- Page cannot be displayed - When you get this error message, you can resolve it by restarting the Carbonite UI.
- Waiting for an internet connection - This message is displayed when Carbonite does not see a connection to the Internet.
- No changes are made to your backup while you are disconnected from the Internet.
- If you are intentionally disconnected from the Internet, then no action is needed; once you reconnect, Carbonite will update automatically.
- If you're able to access the Internet (i.e. you can browse web pages or check your email) but Carbonite says that it's Waiting for an Internet connection, try rebooting your computer.
- Why are there files always pending backup? - Some files are always changing as you use your computer. These are normally unimportant data files stored in folders that Carbonite backs up by default.
- Clicking Back up now from the Backup settings page will back up your files right away.
- Backup Stopped - Subscribe now - Your trial or subscription has expired.
- To continue backing up your files, you will have to purchase or renew your subscription.
- Backup Errors - If your backup is not progressing, please check your backup connections and selection.
Click the video below for the Safe Pro Video