- This article is for Windows and Mac
The speed of your Internet connection is the primary factor for how fast you can back upTo send a copy of your files from your computer to our servers for safe keeping. your files to Carbonite's servers. Your backup speed will also depend on the speed of your computer, the amount of data selected for backup, and the amount of strain your other programs and services have on your internet connection.
Your upload speeds depend on the speed of your Internet connection. For example, a FiOS (fiber optic connection) user will back upTo send a copy of your files from your computer to our servers for safe keeping. and restoreTo download files from Carbonite’s servers to your computer. at a much faster rate than a DSL user. A cable user may back up and restore more slowly during peak cable usage times. Additionally, Carbonite slows down while you are using your computer to avoid interfering with your important tasks.
Your computer's hibernation and sleep settings can also affect your backup speed. Adjusting these settings for your PC or Mac so that your computer remains on will help ensure that your initial backup happens as fast as possible.
Tips that may help increase your backup speed:
- Physically connect your computer to your router or modem instead of using a wireless connection.
- When practical, use the computer as seldom as possible during backups.
- Adjust sleep and hibernation settings so that your computer remains on.
- Close programs you aren't actively using - especially those that connect to the internet.
- Ensure that Carbonite is properly allowed through your firewall or other security software.
- Backup and restore operations can only take place while the computer is on and connected to the internet. If your computer is in a low power state, hibernate, or sleep mode, Carbonite cannot perform backup or restoreTo download files from Carbonite’s servers to your computer. operations. When your computer powers on and reconnects to the Internet, your backup will resume where it left off.