Uninstalling Carbonite Safe Server Backup
- This article is for Windows only
Carbonite Safe Server Backup (CSSB) can be most easily uninstalled through Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs with the following steps:
- Press Windows Key + R (to open the Run box), typing "appwiz.cpl" and clicking OK.
- Select Carbonite Safe Server Backup from the list of programs and then click Uninstall.
When uninstalling CSSB, you are given a choice to preserve configuration data:
- Preserve the configuration: If you preserve your backup configuration, backup set information and CSSB’s back-end database are not removed from the system. This allows you to quickly re-install and pick up where you left off. This is most often used as a troubleshooting step to replace damaged or missing CSSB program-related files.
- Do not preserve the configuration: If you do not preserve the configuration, the entire program is removed. If you re-install, you will either have to re-create your backup sets, or you will have to import your old backup sets. This is most often used when there is something wrong with the back-end database.
- Before choosing this option it is recommended to note down or take screenshots of your backup schedule(s) so that they can be recreated if needed.
Note: When Carbonite Safe Server Backup is uninstalled from a computer with a Hyper-V backup, a file named CSBFilter.sys may remain in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ folder. This file can be removed manually at any time after uninstallation, since it serves no purpose without CSSB.
If you are unable to completely uninstall Carbonite Safe Server Backup, follow the steps described in A Conflicting Carbonite Product is Installed, to remove a previous installation of the product from your computer.