- This article is for Windows only
The current version of Carbonite Safe Server Backup is designed to support all editions of each Windows operating system listed below*:
- Windows XP (Home or Pro) with SP2 or higher
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003 SP2
- Windows Server 2003 R2
- Windows Small Business Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Small Business Server 2011
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
*Server Core installations are not supported for any version of Windows.
The sections below are collapsed. Please click the section title to open / close a particular section.
Your system must meet the following hardware requirements:
- Dual-core CPU
- 2GB of RAM or higher
- 10GB or more of disk space on the drive where CSSB is installed for CSSB's own program and configuration files.
- Additionally, every disk that contains data to be backed up must have space for VSS snapshots. This space is known as shadowstorage. At least 10% of each disk should be dedicated to shadowstorage. CSSB will automatically create and assign shadowstorage to meet this requirement. You can read more about shadowstorage in this Knowledge Base article.
- Java 8 (or higher) is required for full CSSB functionality.
- Systems that can run Java 8 are required to run Java 8.
- Java 7 is sufficient for basic functionality.
- Systems that cannot run Java 8, such as Windows XP and Server 2003, may use Java 7.
- Backups of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 have additional requirements/dependencies:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 must be installed on the machine where CSSB is installed.
- Powershell 2.0 or higher (part of the Windows Management Framework) must also be installed on the machine where CSSB is installed.
- The Check Dependencies option in the Tools menu can be used to verify whether the proper dependencies are installed on the system.
Your system must also meet these requirements:
- The language selected in the CSSB Installer and the CSSB program must match the Windows system locale.
- The Remote Registry Service must be enabled before installation.
- The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) must be enabled. Although the Volume Shadow Service is enabled by default, it may have been turned off after Windows installation.
- To ensure that VSS is running:
- Right-click the My Computer (or Computer) icon and choose Manage from the pop up menu.
- Expand the Services and Applications tree and locate the Volume Shadow Copy Service. If it is not started, change the General Properties to set the Startup Type to Automatic.
- To ensure that VSS is running:
- Carbonite Safe Server Backup must be installed and all CSSB operations must be performed as a user that has Administrator privileges.
- Carbonite Safe Server Backup requires access to TCP Ports 10080 and 10081, which are the default ports used by CSSB for backup and restore operations.
- Alternate ports can be specified within the Data Transfer and Networking section, by navigating to Preferences; Advanced within the CSSB User Interface.
- The Carbonite Server Cloud Controller requires access to port 10085. If port 10085 is not available, please refer to Changing the Default Port Used by the ZCBService.
- CSSB depends on the Visual C++ Redistributable. VC++ must be installed and in working order on the system.
- Errors that reference MSVCP120.dll indicate a damaged or corrupted Microsoft VC++ Redistributable. The systems administrator must repair or reinstall VC++ in order to resolve the errors.